Wednesday 13 February 2013

Comforts of Home

Yesterday I left the hospital before lunch and spent the afternoon in bed.  By the evening I felt horrible and knew the morning was going to be rough as well.  A friend agreed to meet Hope in the morning at the hospital and sit with her.  I managed to get some sleep, but was still feeling pretty terrible in the morning.

At 9am the hospital called with glorious news, Calgary was sending a patient to Edmonton and Hope would take their place in Calgary.  I was thrilled, we were finally going back to Calgary and I would be able to see more of Sadie and Shawn.  Then the dread of driving home washed over me, I wasn't sure I'd be able to sit up for that long.  Thankfully as our friend sat with Hope, he also found a kind soul to drive our car back to Calgary and bus back to Edmonton.  Someone had offered to do this on Tuesday, but today was a much busier day for them and I didn't want to use them unless absolutely necessary.  I was thrilled to be heading home.

I managed to pack everything up at the apartment and load the car.  It is such a blessing to have a place to stay in Edmonton, but always wonderful to leave as well!  I had to go over to the hospital to pack up Hope's things there and sign for Hope's transport.  I wore a mask and washed my hands with some extra effort.  Hope started to cry when I wasn't holding her and was clearly angry that I'd been gone for 24 hours and was now standing close to her, but not close enough.  I picked her up and had some wonderful cuddles before the team arrived.

The transport was delayed when the ground crew was worried that the air crew had different pumps for Hope's meds.  They drove back to the airport to pick up the air crew and bring them to the hospital to transfer Hope themselves.  She was fashionably late for her departure, but departed.

I made the drive in the passenger seat with my head back and having a wonderful chat with a really sweet woman.  I was so happy to get into my house and will be thrilled to unpack and organize everything when I have the energy.  Shawn needs me and this is very obvious when I've been gone.  The fridge is completely unorganized and full of food that needs to be thrown out.  The freezer looks like it is just as bad.  The kitchen counter is piled with mail and Hope's crib is full of everything I've sent back from Edmonton over the last month.  I will be in my glory when I can finally organize and put everything in its place.  I noticed that Hope's drawers are still full of her 6 month clothes, she has transitioned into her 9 month sleepers and I've never moved the clothes out of storage from Sadie.

I am currently laying in my bed and absolutely thrilled to be here.  Hope is in the comfort of her home care nurse's arms.  Rachelle is with Hope so often, and Hope is completely comfortable with her and will be so happy to have her there.  We are back in our old room at the hospital here in Calgary and all her favourite nurses have stopped by to say hello I've heard.  I'm truly hoping to wake up feeling fabulous and be able to get over there.

Thank you to everyone that has prayed us home.  I am one step closer to getting Hope into this house.  She still needs to do weeks of TPN and then establish her feeds.  I know that Edmonton has a home TPN program and I'm going to push and see if Calgary will allow Hope to come home on TPN.  I have my doubts, but might as well try.  I'm dying to have her here at the house with us.  Until then, I will celebrate the fact that we're in Calgary once again.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome home, Amy! Will continue to pray for you & Hope....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing family you have. Hope is well-named. You certainly have a soul of courage and strength although it must feel very discouraging at times. Think positive thoughts. Prayers are being said for all of you. Cidnee Elise (Edlund-Hales) JOHNSON Duncan, BC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great news!!! You deserve the comforts of home after all you have been through. My family and I are praying and wishing Hope will be home with you soon....
    Best,
    Tami
    (Ringwood, NJ)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great you are back in Calgary! I am glad Hope has gone up in clothing size since her clothes have been last looked at. I hope you can get her home with you all ASAP. Know lots of people love you and are praying for you. Happy Valentines Day to all of you.

    Blessings,

    Naomi in Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  5. what wonderful news! one step closer to having Hope home sweet home. Awesome she is in 9mth cloths now!!
    I imagine you slept well in your Own bed and Home with Sadie and Shawn! what perfect timing...Happy Valentine's Day to you each <3
    Blessings and Prayers from Owen Sound Ontario :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home Amy! So happy to hear that you and Hope are one step closer to being home. I realize that you probably have some clothing on hand from when Sadie was Hope's age however, if given that you've been away and confined to a hospital/apartment for the last several months, if there is anything that we can do to help out, please let me know. Our daughter is now 15 months and we have so many nice clothes that she has outgrown. I'd love to know that they're getting some additional wear, especially from your beautiful daughter. Please let me know if you'd like us to send some over. Like I said, if there is anything at all we can do to help, please do not hesitate to ask. My wife is a nurse In Calgary and would also love the opportunity to help if possible.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete