Friday 5 October 2012

Thanking God

In honour of Thanksgiving this weekend, I'll tell you about some of the awesome things that Hope has done in the last day.

Hope was taken out of ICE and moved to the ward today!  She is now in a room with a little girl that has the exact same heart condition.  They appear to be trying to out scream each other, hopefully this stops before midnight!  Hope's belly measured at 44.5cm this afternoon!  That is the smallest it's been in a long time without any help from protein infusions.

Our prayer has been that God would help Hope to get rid of some of the fluid build up in her abdomen.  It appears that's exactly what He's doing.  She is making so much progress without needing to be on the infusions.  Being only 4 days post-op, she's doing SOOO well.  I can't find any reason for Dr. Ross to deny doing Hope's surgery.  She has proven that she has a lot of fight in her and is ready for the heart surgery.

Over this long weekend, we are asking you to pray for the meeting on Tuesday.  That is when Hope's surgeon and the cardiologists will make a decision about her second surgery.  The date they set will leave our family with the decision of where to live in the meantime.  If Hope's surgery happens in a month or so, we would stay here to continue her treatment with the GI team in Edmonton.  If they decide to delay the surgery for a long time, that will be more difficult.  If that happens, we may have to come back to Calgary in the interim and be followed by Calgary's GI team.  This is not the ideal option for Hope.  Please pray that whatever decision is made is best for Hope.

We are trying out some bolus feeds with Hope this evening.  She's on her 3rd feed and seems to be tolerating them well.  With all the procedures, formula changes and surgery, Hope has been on continuous feeds for a long time.  Please pray that she continues to tolerate them and gets back on a feeding schedule.

I am pleased to say that I made my goal, Hope stayed on breast milk until her 1/2 birthday!!  We are now on our last 3 days of breast milk and are transitioning Hope to full formula feeds.  She's done very well so far.  Please pray that she continues to accept the new feeds, it's her only option!

I've asked about the possibility of taking Hope out on a pass for a few hours this weekend.  They haven't agreed to it at this point.  They are considering it, if Hope does really well over the next 24 hours.  I would love for Hope to get some fresh air if possible.

We continue to be so touched by the churches and total strangers that continue to pray for our family.  I look at the people that follow the blog and wonder who many of them are!  We see the evidence of people praying and ask you to continue, it's making an impact.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Lord for encouraging Amy and her family today. I'm sure that others feel the way I do...complete optimism for Hope's surgery and recovery. I can hardly wait to see the four of you on Huntley Street while our friend Moira Brown hears and shares your story. You have
    1. Trusted God from the time she was growing in your belly.
    2. Prayed over virtually every decision.
    3. Humbly accepted the prayer and practical help people have offered.
    4. Shared deep hurts and fears and sometimes even anger, and taught all of us new and creative ways to communicate with the God we love.
    Your days are sometimes bleak and lonely ... and when they are you turn to the Saviour who walked the bleak and lonely road to Calvary for us and for your lovely little fighter.
    I've said this before and it bears repeating - at age 62, I wish I showed the characteristics of Jesus that you already show at such a young age. I will never forget you, Amy and never forget the lessons you have taught me through your pain, your joy and your humble walk with Christ. Thank you sooooo much. Happy thanksgiving sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah what good news to read of. I check the blog every night before bed. I can imagine hope trying to scream out to the other little girl . It's so cute. We will keep praying for shrinking abdomen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Amy and Shawn: At this Thanksgiving time I want to tell you how thankful I am for the wonderful testimony you have been during this very trying time. We have come to love your dear little Hope and will continue to pray for her and all of your family. "We give thanks to You, O God, we give thanks! For Your wondrous works declare that Your name is near." Psalm 75:1 "Be my strong refuge, To which I may resort continually; You have given the commandment to save me, For You are my rock and my fortress." Psalm 71:3 Happy Thanksgiving! I hope that it is a lovely day and that you will be able to take Hope for a walk. Hugs for sweet Sadie, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naomi of Ontaro Canada8 October 2012 at 10:22

    Praying here. Good to hear she is doing so well.

    Naomi

    ReplyDelete