I cannot even believe that our life continues to collect drama. Seriously?!?! Last night was the worst night I've ever had with Hope. At 4:30 am I finally caved and allowed them to give her Morphine so I wouldn't lose my mind. Hope slept for 3 hours, and then got up for the day. As a result, I am functioning on only 3 hours of sleep as well. Not a pretty sight.
At 11am this morning, the nurse discovered that Hope had a high fever. She also had a poop that was suspicious looking. They sent it off for tests and found that it was full of blood. We were sent down soon after for an X-ray and it didn't look great. Hope's bowel walls are inflamed and swollen, and it looks as though she may have an infection in her tummy.
They had originally decided not to start antibiotics and to up her feeds a bit and see how she did. They wanted to see if she would react in order to diagnose NEC (necrotizing enterocolitis). If she does have it, it will set us back a lot and will almost guarantee Christmas in the hospital for our family. Hope's temperature was just checked once again, and it's even higher. As a result, they are changing the plan and will start her on a strong antibiotic right away.
Please pray that whatever is causing Hope's issues will quickly reveal itself. The doctors are looking for direction as they treat Hope's symptoms, but are still unsure of an official diagnosis. Hope continues to be miserable, and I am in deep fear of having another night like last night. Please pray that she will be able to settle and get a good sleep. I think it would be good for both of us!
Thank you for continuing to care, I know our drama appears to have no end.