Friday 4 January 2013

A Message from Hope's Favorite Texan


Hi blog world, this is Amy’s friend, Liz, from Texas. Amy thought it might be nice to have a guest blogger to give a different perspective on everything. I am nearing the end of my ten day visit and as I am writing this, I am sitting in Hope’s hospital room after my first sleep-over with her. I visited in August and things were pretty different during that visit. At the start of my visit then, Hope was allowed to go home and by the time I left five days later, she was back in the hospital again. I am thankful that I got to spend time with Amy and her family with Hope at home. That life, though difficult, is much easier than this hospital life.
It is tough to see my good friend walk down this hard road. We met in Maui in 2005 without a care in the world and now it seems Amy has the weight of the world on her shoulders. Obviously it is heart wrenching to watch your child suffer through dangerous surgeries and procedures, but this gets magnified by the boredom of the hospital. Having only spent about eight days here so far, I don’t know how Amy can stand it. The monotony of it all is maddening and combining that with the weight of a sick child can be crushing. I have seen Amy reach her hospital limit this week. It’s hard to believe she’s been able to stand it this long. I am going stir crazy after 8 days and I’ve almost never been here alone. I also don’t bear Hope’s burdens the way Amy does. Shawn helps out as much as he can, but since he works to support the family, he cannot be at the hospital the way Amy can.

Those of you who know Amy well, know she is not perfect, but she is strong and tenacious, which makes her well-suited to advocate for Hope. I am in awe of the way Amy and Shawn fight for their daughter and I know they are a big part of why Hope is still with us today. Amy has always been a strong person, but the strength she and Shawn are displaying in the face of all this cannot come from within them alone. God is the one who is sustaining them and allowing them to continue this journey with their daughter. On days when they almost want to give up, God provides for them in amazing ways. I have been blessed by the way so many people: family, friends and even strangers have pitched in to help this family. Amy has received letters, gift cards, clothes, and toys in the mail. People have cooked meals for the family. She has also met some amazing people who volunteer their time with her family. It is impossible for Amy to stay at the hospital 24/7 and still be there for her other daughter and husband. She would also probably go insane. I am so thankful for all the people who volunteer to spend their morning, afternoon or even their night with Hope. Amy and Shawn have been blessed by their insurance company allowing them to have a night nurse again. Because Hope is so fragile, she needs someone to stay with her overnight even though she is in the hospital since the nurses here often have several patients to take care of at once. Amy and Shawn’s night nurse is pretty amazing. She loves Hope almost as much as Shawn and Amy do and often checks up on Hope and always stays up to date with what is going on with her. What a blessing! I am so thankful to God for providing all these people to help my friends. They couldn’t do it without you guys!

I will be sad to leave Amy tomorrow night, but honestly also a bit relieved. This life is hard and I don’t think I am strong enough for it. Please continue to pray for the Koslowski family. Thank you for loving my friend and her family. I feel so blessed to have been able to come and spend this time with these precious friends.

4 comments:

  1. Cheryl, Montreal4 January 2013 at 22:40

    Liz, as I see it we are all connected as we are all THE Kings' Kids...for those of us who can't be hands on with Hope, Amy, Shawn and Sadie, we can be Prayer Warriors and so we continue as this year unfolds asking the Lord to bless this little family and heal HOPE completely from the top of her little head to the tips of her toes, we ask this in His name. Amen. I ask God to also bless you for being that friend that Amy and Shawn both need right now. God bless all the prayer warriors out there too and the night nurse. God inspire and guide each and every individual on HOPE's survival team to SEE what is happening and to fix what is not happening....finally wisdom for Amy and Shawn in their decision making on behalf of Hope. Amen and Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to write today. It was so nice meeting you last night and I think you are a great friend for sweet Amy and her family. It is overwhelming to see what Amy and her family go through on a daily basis but also so amazing to see their strength. I also thought the night nurse who could not have been sweeter with Hope, was there for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We will miss you... You have been such a good friend to Mommy! Come back soon...thank you Liz." -Love the Hoper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Sister died in hospital. Her Mom my Step Mom stayed in the hospital for a year minus 10 days...I can't imagine what she went through...she barely left the hospital and I don't know that that was the best decision...I don't mean to criticize her but since then she has been warn out and can't get over her grief yet. I am so glad Amy has people who give her time out of the hospital with her daughter and husband and others. I think that is very healthy. Thanks for being there for Amy.

    ReplyDelete