Friday 21 December 2012

The Common Cold

I am exhausted.  I've had sleep, I take breaks and our support network is wonderful.  My emotions have taken a huge hit this week and it has completely wiped me out.  We have been told to get ready because Hope is leaving in the morning.  Then we were told she couldn't go until the 27th, then the 24th and now we have no date.

Today a swab that was taken from Hope's nose 4 days ago, came back positive.  Hope has the common cold virus.  They will not take Hope into the cath lab with a cold, so they have cancelled her heart cath. Until we get a negative result, or Hope's diarrhea stops, we won't get a new date for the heart cath.  We will be here in Calgary at least until the 26th, but likely longer.  This is so frustrating when we know that Hope needs to have this test.

Hope has spent the last two days very uncomfortable.  She rarely sleeps during the day and spends her awake times very fussy.  After 8 hours of straight fussy, I just have to get out of the hospital.  I plan to take a lot of breaks this weekend, it's the only way I'll be able to continue like this for another couple of months.  I used to be able to spend 24 hours straight at the hospital with Hope.  Now I begin to lose my mind after 8 hours.  I just keep wondering, "How long oh Lord??"

Although I am exhausted, I am also very blessed.  Numerous complete strangers have come to the hospital to sit with Hope while we leave to regroup and renew our strength.  There have been little reminders that we are not alone and that so many people are walking with us.  Thank you for continuing to pray.

6 comments:

  1. My heart aches for Hope and your little family, Amy. God has blessed you with an amazing strength! I have been following your blog through mutual friends that share on Facebook, and have been sharing with our Young Couples group at Living Stones here in Red Deer. I will continue to pray for Hope, you, and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really are not alone, Amy. We're praying for rest for you & healing for Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for your strength to return and your courage to continue. This blog is usually one of the first things I look for in the morning. Thank you for all the gifts you have given to those of us not close enough to help out physically. Peace, joy, love, wisdom, acceptance, willingness and courage, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am praying for you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying. Please check in to the possibility of using probiotics to treat the intestines. I commented weeks ago and left an article, don't want to bug you, but I have experience with this. I figured it was worth saying again just in case. Antibiotics rid the intestines of all bacteria which can lead to diarrhea when flora isn't restored. Then a milk diet helps all the bad bacteria to thrive. I am praying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been following your story thru a mutual friend and I want you to know that I think you are strong and tired. I will be praying for you now and always but please do not think you are weak. Thinking of you and praying for you during this season of blessing and trial. <3

    ReplyDelete