We are truly living on the edge of a steep cliff and holding our breath most of the day. It's never great when you ask the doctor what he will we do if our baby's IV fails and he tells you, "panic!" The doctors have been very honest and genuine with us through this ordeal and we've really appreciated that. They've let us know that they are being forced to make decisions with Hope that they normally wouldn't choose if they had any better options. We truly are stuck between a rock and a hard place and we're doing what it takes to make it to the next day.
Hope is very uncomfortable with her breathing tube. They are hoping to remove it tomorrow if her lungs dry up a bit more. Please pray that her lungs dry up well through the night and she's able to be extubated tomorrow afternoon. We've had a terrible time with IV's and lost our final one today. By a pure miracle, an anesthesiologist was walking past and was able to get a new IV in Hope's foot on the 4th try.
Tomorrow we are booked to have a PICC line put in around 11am. This is required for Hope to have a CT scan to further investigate her blood clot and to find out why the blood flow isn't normal in her SVC. If the CT scan shows something that will need to be resolved surgically, we'll be here for quite awhile. If it shows nothing, or some improvement, there's a better chance that we'd get back to Calgary sooner. Whether that is one week or 3 weeks...we have no idea and the doctors aren't offering to make any guesses at this point.
My mastitis seems to be resolving, but my milk supply in that breast is not great. This causes some awkward lopsidedness...I don't think that's in style right now! I'm hoping it will get better and catch up with it's buddy but I'm not holding my breath. (TMI?) I am truly thankful to not be in constant pain and free of fever and chills. Praise the Lord for that being over and the need for IV antibiotics to be over as well! I do need some prayer to have the strength to continue though. I find pumping very tedious and have to push myself everyday to continue pumping for a little girl that isn't eating much!
Sadie is coming up from Calgary tomorrow with my dad and my brother. They booked flights to Calgary to come and visit, but we are sadly not in Calgary. They'll be road tripping up for a weekend visit with us. At least they know we're emotionally unstable and will come ready to join the cry fest - you know what "rocks" those Kirk men are! We're hoping and praying that our little one will get stronger each day and start to look better and make strides towards recovery from the infection.
Our doctors here have been great the last couple of days and have been communicating well with us, and we are thankful for the care Hope is receiving. Please continue to pray for wisdom for the doctors, nurses and other medical staff that come in contact with Hope. We really rely on their suggestions and recommendations when it comes to Hope's care and are trusting that God will guide them.